3.22.2009

Dr. Philene Fanchon

Dr. Philene Fanchon-
French archaeologist, early 30’s, black
hair, intelligent, loves all of God’s creations, fascinated by ancient
relics and cultures.

EXCERPT FROM EUROPA: RISE OF THE CARNELIANS

“Find anything yet?” Adrian prompted Philene.
“Not yet. You can’t rush perfection.”
“Yeah, I know that feeling.”
Philene and Adrian approached the outer layer of the Chaos
Region. Several craters were strewn about, making their trek tricky
and aggravating.
Adrian noticed something off in the distance. A large object was
buried in the moon’s surface. “Do you see that?” he asked.
Philene squinted in the direction of Adrian’s request. “That
thing?”
“Yeah. Doesn’t it look like a ship or something?” Adrian asked
fishing in his suit for a set of binoculars.
Philene dismissed his query with a harsh reaction. “You are
dreaming. Let’s stay focused, okay?”
“It looks like some sort of alien craft. One that I certainly didn’t
design.” Adrian peered through the binoculars. “One side seems to
150 Jason Gehlert
be curved inward, possibly from some sort of impact. I think we
should check it out.”
“Yeah, after we search the caves. I can see a small opening in
the side of that mountain ahead,” Philene said as she tugged Adrian
along. His arm brace was caught inside a crater and bent to the point
where Adrian tumbled head first from the sudden jerk. “Are you
okay?” Philene turned around and helped him up.
“No, not really.” Adrian seethed. “My brace is broken.”
“I’ll help you along.” Philene grabbed his arm. “Trust me. I
won’t let you fall.”
“Better not. I sign your paychecks,” Adrian quipped. “Here.”
He reached into his pocket and pulled out a flashlight. “I came
prepared.”
Philene took the instrument and flicked it on, letting a powerful
beam penetrate into the mouth of the cave. “Looks creepy.”
“It reminds me of a movie I saw when I was a kid, where they
are all stranded on this planet.” Adrian shrugged. “I personally didn’t
like that movie. It had those creatures that survived and hunted
during the night.”
“I liked that movie.” Philene continued with Adrian in tow. “Stay
close and watch your step.”
“You don’t have to worry about that.” Adrian commented and
looked up at the cave’s magnificent ceiling. He turned on the miniflashlights
attached to each side of his helmet and noticed something
scurrying across the rocky surface. “Did you see that?”
“See what?” Philene asked.
“Nothing. It must be medication time. My mind’s going nuts.”
“I can’t wait to find a collection of cultural remains inside this
cave. Or, better yet a specie’s perfectly mummified remains, like the
Iceman.” Philene smiled in eager anticipation.
“Let’s keep pushing forward.” Adrian illuminated the cavern
revealing a twisted path straight ahead.

No comments: